A Brief History of Siloam Springs
Once an Osage Indian hunting ground, the region was settled by white pioneers in the 1830's. The city of Siloam Springs was platted in 1880.
It became a popular and prosperous summer health resort because of the reputed healing powers of its spring waters. Laid out along the Sager Creek, with broad expanses of park land at its heart, the town benefited from an unusually beautiful setting.
The coming of the railroad in 1893 brought an era of sustained growth as a tourist and trade center. Growth was interrupted by the Great Depression, but resumed in the 1940's asw the city started to become a center for food processing and light industry.
For a more complete overview of Siloam Springs history, see the article titled "Siloam Springs" in the encyclopedia of Arkansas at www.encyclopediaofarkansas.net